Friday, September 16, 2005

The Misadvantures of My Lil' Sis'

My kid sister decided to go learn abroad for a year after having graduated from high school last spring. So off she went to Israel for her first year of school. My parents accompanied her to the school and helped to get her settled. Everything was going great. My parents got her settled and went about their business, touring the state of Israel. The day they were leaving to return home trouble struck. My sister was going into the lunchroom to eat dinner when she took a spill down the steps. She ended up in the emergency room, with crutches, and a badly injured ankle. SO here she is away from home for the first time, in a new country, with a different language and alone. Poor kid! Not only is she a little home sick, but now she is injured too. I can only imagine how she must feel. Then to add salt to the wound, the school where she is attending is not being very accomodating at all. In fact they made an appointment behaind her back for her to go see and orthopeadic surgeon. Nice right! Well, the reason they did that was because they didn't want her oin crutches anymore. So she calls home at 1 am to wake my parents up to see what to do. My parents use their connections (I'm still trying to figure out who they know...) to get her an appointment with the ortho who works on the Israeli national basketball team (the team that goes to the olympics). He looks at her foot and tells her she has two small bones out of place that need to be given 8 weeks to rest, and hopfully they will return to their proper position. If not then she will need to have surgery.
Like I said, she is 6,000 miles from home in a new country with a new language to learn....my poor lil sis! Needless to say after a week of dealing with the school the doctors and her parents, my sister has decided to come back home until her foot heals. At that time she will decide what to do next. So we will be welcoming her back home after being gone for 5 weeks....now with new accutriments (crutches). Maybe I should take her shopping, although I don't think she'd fit into my double stroller, I think it has a weight limit of like 50 lbs....Oh well, the misadventures of my little sister keep me preoccupied from my own families issues...up side to everything is the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

No comments: